Wednesday 22 November 2023

Linux for the Masses

So after 10 years of messing with the Linux operating system (OS) I've taken the plunge and ditched Windows. This period has seen the launch and displacement of Windows 10, with the last straw being the most recent upgrade to 11, which calls for the very latest tech to support it. I'm not in the habit of throwing out perfectly good hardware to justify the whims of a broken consumerist system, so I've pressed my ageing hardware into another stint of operation.

I've kept one really old machine which runs DOS and XP for re-programming ex-taxi radios for amateur use, which  require very slow serial port communications. The rest have been upgraded to Linux, two flavours have over the years caught my eye, both of which are serviced by the Debian Linux stable .

My daily driver is a 64bit Fujitsu Desktop with 4GB of RAM and runs Zorin Linux, I've setup the machine to look and feel like Windows 10, so as not to confuse my wife, who's knowledge of the computer doesn't run beyond using the browser and word processor.

Desktop of Zorin Linux


My hobby machine also runs Zorin Linux, the Lite version, now running on 64bit i5 Core Toshiba Laptop with 4GB of RAM, this has adequate grunt to handle my amateur radio software, including those written for Windows via Wine.

One interesting thing to note is the support for 32bit machines is disappearing fast and in order to keep a laptop running at work for browsing outside our secure system, I've opted for Sparky Linux, which again is Debian based. This has a very light footprint and runs easily with 2GB of RAM.  

Desktop of Sparky Linux


Overall I'm very pleased with Zorin Linux, I'm not a programmer and very rarely resort to running commands in text. Both flavours of Linux mentioned are written for normal folk with a modicum of intelligence. The app. store for Zorin is very shiny and easy to use and offers the biggest selection of software, the same as offered to those who use Ubuntu Linux. Support for both OS are excellent as are their user forums.  

All open source systems require external funding to keep the lights on and the bills payed. So if you find yourself switching to either above and your happy with the experience, please look to make a donation for their continued development and upkeep.  

73 Rick






No comments:

Post a Comment